Human-centered AI is an emerging space that requires much-valued input from practitioners, researchers, and creatives of all stripes and disciplines. Much of our world has already been transformed by the existence of AI technology, with an influence both subtle and pervasive. From the food we eat to our friendships, work, aspirations, and everyday travails, AI technology now mediates our interactions with the world. Small errors or biases in our data science may seem innocuous at first, but can have cascading consequences leading to situations where a ride-sharing app driver makes less than enough money or a restaurant shutters from a lack of foot traffic. By using human-centered design, AI can be oriented to the benefit of humans as well as society at large. This kind of design is neither new, nor specific to AI, but the complexity and opacity of artificial intelligence makes human-centered principles more urgent than ever.
- If you would like to recommend an additional resource, please reach out to us.
Introductions to AI
Designing with AI
- Algorithm-Driven Design by Yury Vetrov
- Algorithms Tour by Stich Fix
- Design for AI by IBM Design
- Designing Machine Learning by Stanford d.School
- Guidlines for Human-AI Interaction by Microsoft
- People + AI Guidebook by Google PAIR team
- Science and Statistics by George E. P. Box
- The Bell Curve: That Great Intellectual Fraud by Nassim Nicholas Taleb